March 22, 2011

A girl just can't catch a break...


So Thursday I did this to my finger, by probably the most retarded means possible. I was using a stick blender, and lifted the blender out of the bowl. I then proceeded to take my finger and clean out the end of the blender, with the blender plugged in. Please view my photo of the stick blender below, with the very large and easy to press button, that you essentially have one hand on at all times. Yes, I did then accidentally press the button with my finger in the end. Blech! So after 4 hours in the ER (apparently it was a busy day) I find out there is good news and there is bad news. The good news is...my nail saved my finger from being cut off, at least that is what the doc said. The bad news however, not only will it take a year to grow out, but more than likely my nail will never look normal again. Every time I look at it I shudder, and think I'm just glad I have my whole finger. I would have passed out if I had to pick up a piece of me and take to the ER with me.


So my experience in the ER was interesting. I sincerely hope I never have to go there with something life threatening. They seriously would come in check my vitals or something, then leave for an hour. Then they come back and say do you want something to numb that??? Um, yes please. Ok here is a shot, it will last 4-6 hours. They give me the shot and leave. 1 hour later, all the numbing wears off, in fact my finger hurts worse now then it did when I first came in. I'm just hoping and praying I can get out of there soon just so I can go home and take some Ibuprofen. Doc comes back and says, "Ok I'm going to stitch it now." "Um, I'm not one to usually complain, but I can't let you do that till you numb my finger again." "Well that shot should have done the trick." "I promise, my finger is not numb, and the thought of you stitching it right now is about more than I can bare." So the doc gives me another shot, and says he can't give me anymore that I've had my limit. Fine whatever, just give me the stitches now. So he stitches me, and while he is doing so he pricks himself. "Uh, you don't have aids do you???" "No, do you?" "I'm going to need you to have a blood test now." "Whatever, I've only had 2 dozen in the last two months, what's one more." So, now how come the doc doesn't have to have one for me??? Unfortunately, the blood test meant waiting for another hour, in which my 2nd shot wore off. So word from the now wiser...before going to the ER take some Ibuprofen. Oh and don't put your finger in a stick blender with it plugged in.

Jill got me a gift that night:

Fingerless gloves, Dip Stix, Press on Nails, Fusion juice, flesh colored paint, nail polish remover, anti-bacterial hand sanitizer, Butterfingers, and more stylish fingerless gloves (perfect cause I had a Rockband party to attend). Notice the theme?

update: Just got the bill for this little beauty...$771.00. Lovely.

12 comments:

Sunshine Designed said...

Oh man! That is your third strike.

jillustrator said...

Btw, Walmart doesn't sell Lady Fingers. That is what I was trying to buy :D

Scott said...

What the hell Rani?! You've got some really good luck coming your way. Good things are going to happen! Loving Jill's gift!

Scott said...

Umm..this is Becky signed in under Scott.

Christine said...

RANI!! oh my gosh, please call me if you need help with Calvin while you are tending to your poor finger. lol seriously, Corbin would love to have him over for a play date. OUCH that looks like it hurts! Sorry you can't catch a break.

The Merricks said...

At least your abs will be fabulous despite your new scars! Carter couldn't even look at the picture of your finger. He was so grossed out. I am pretty sure he is never touching a stick blender.

Matthew said...

Wow! Thats a nice hand blender

Erik & Marcie +3 said...

Oh.my.heck! Yikes!! Love the gifts. Too funny. Oh, and I've lost a fingernail in an accident, and it doesn't look bad. I'm the only one who notices. The only thing wrong with it is where the pink part meets the white park is all wavy, instead of nice and curved. Like my technical terms for the nail? :)

Chris, Erica, Avva, & Alle Kinnersley said...

Hearing the story when I saw you was bad enough, but seeing the picture- I almost puked. Yuck

Anonymous said...

I know this thread is old, but I just HAD to comment because I did literally the EXACT same thing this past weekend. Cleaning out around the blade of the immersion blender with my index finger when whoops...my other hand hits that super huge "on" button. Sliced the hell out of the end of my finger, right into the bone. Luckily not much damage to the nail, but I cut all the nerves. Even in the ER I had a similar experience with them numbing it and then disappearing for so long that it wore off. Numbed again, this time right into the cuts (and without a gentle touch,I might add). NOT COOL. Felt him do the last few stitches.
Bottom line--don't be a dingus and unplug that hand blender! Maybe we should sue lol =P

Anonymous said...

I know this thread is old, but I just HAD to comment because I did literally the EXACT same thing this past weekend. Cleaning out around the blade of the immersion blender with my index finger when whoops...my other hand hits that super huge "on" button. Sliced the hell out of the end of my finger, right into the bone. Luckily not much damage to the nail, but I cut all the nerves. Even in the ER I had a similar experience with them numbing it and then disappearing for so long that it wore off. Numbed again, this time right into the cuts (and without a gentle touch,I might add). NOT COOL. Felt him do the last few stitches.
Bottom line--don't be a dingus and unplug that hand blender! Maybe we should sue lol =P

Rani said...

That is crazy! So similar, and too bad you had the same ER experience!